Über die Frau

Monday, May 23, 2011

Big Cloud, Big Sky

Enjoying yesterday’s sunshine was absolutely amazing! For lunch and dinner, I was craving light and fresh. For lunch, I had an open-faced sandwich on toasted Steinofenbrot (bread baked in a stone oven) with leftover homemade hummus, tomato, cucumber, and salad from the garden with some orange slices and green smoothie on the side. :)
And yes, that is a green smoothie in a beer stein. I take what I can get. (Well, who am I kidding, even if I’d found a different glass, it would have gone in the stein anyway.) The green smoothie yesterday was:

1 tbsp. flaxseed meal
2 handfuls of Feldsalat (field salad?)
1/2c. water
2 tbsp. Rhubarb Vanilla yogurt
1/2 banana, 1/4 orange, 1/4 pear
Ice!

I love adding a lot of ice into a green smoothie – not only does it add to the size of the smoothie, but it adds to the refreshment and texture as well. :)

The hummus I made was OK, but I am still trying to perfect the recipe. Tahini is another hard-to-find ingredient here in Germany, so I have been trying different recipes without it. Once I’m happy with it, I’ll let you know!

After lunch was more reading, Jeopardy, and The Soup. Ah, Sundays, how I love and absorb thee weekly. Dinner was a crisp, refreshing salad with a killer, simple dressing.

The picture definitely does not do this one justice. I’ll blame it on the poor lighting, but really I was just too impatient! ;) This was lettuce from the garden topped with 1/2 tomato, 1/2 red bell pepper, cucumber slices, onion, avocado, sultans and shredded coconut. For the dressing, over it I squeezed the juice from half of a lime, sprinkled on a teaspoon of olive oil, and dashed about a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. I probably won’t add the onion next time, but the sultans and coconut really added a light sweetness to the tart flavor of the lime and balsamic – I will definitely be making this one again!

No comments:

Post a Comment